Important information about COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
(information current at 16 March 2020)
• COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by a new virus.
• This new virus can make people sick, with similar signs like having the flu or a cold.
• It is most likely spread person-to-person.
• Most people (about 80%) have a mild illness and get better, but it can be more severe. In some cases, people may have to go to hospital.
• There is no vaccine or medicine to treat Coronavirus.
If you have not travelled interstate, overseas OR have not been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, your risk of infection is low.
If you have travelled overseas or interstate recently, or have been in close contact with someone who has been interstate or overseas and who has a fever, cough, sore throat or shortness of breath:
• PHONE your Danila Dilba clinic on (08) 8942 5400,
• Tell the clinic about your symptoms,
Don’t come into the clinic unless asked to do so.
What are the symptoms (signs of illness)?
• Cough, sore throat, running nose, tiredness or fever (high temperature).
• Symptoms can be very mild or more severe.
• Some people who have COVID-19 have no symptoms but can still infect others.
Practice good everyday hygiene:
• Proper hand washing – use running water and plenty of soap and wash hands well for 20 seconds.
• Use hand sanitiser or antiseptic wipes.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Cover your mouth and nose if you cough or sneeze, then wash or sanitise your hands.
• Get your annual flu vaccination.
• If you are well, there is no need to wear a face mask.
Current advice at 16th March 2020
• The World Health Organisation has announced that COVID-19 is a pandemic.
• Currently, Australia does not have widespread community transmission.
• To help slow the spread of COVID-19, the Australian Government has banned gatherings of 500 or more people.
• Non-essential meetings, conferences and travel should be limited. (This advice does not apply to workplaces, schools, universities, shops or supermarkets.
• To protect vulnerable people reduce visits to residential aged care facilities and remote communities.
Do I need to be tested for COVID-19?
If you are well and have not been in close contact with anyone who has travelled overseas or interstate who has flu like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat), you do not need to be tested.
If you have concerns or are worried about COVID-19 Coronavirus, please call your Danila Dilba clinic.
If Danila Dilba is closed call:
Darwin Hospital (08) 8922 8888
Palmerston Hospital (08) 7979 9200